Thursday 11 October 2012

Hailey Tyson, gr. 10

The study of residential schools and its legacy has really opened my eyes. I never knew anything about the aboriginal people except for the stereotypes we have towards them. I know so much more about their past and them in total now. It is amazing that I and probably many other people in this class have never heard about the residential schools before this lesson. In my opinion it was a terrible thing to do to anybody and the government didn’t think about how it would affect the aboriginals.  It has really impacted me to wonder what I know about Canada and what I haven’t learned. 
I feel terribly sorry for the children who had to go to residential schools because they had to leave their parents at such a young age; I could never imagine such a thing happening to me. The most surprising thing that I learned about the schools is that the churches ran them and that the nuns and priests were the ones that abused the students. The conditions of the schools were terrible and the food that the children ate was disgusting.
The residential schools were a terrible idea and I am glad that they are not up and running today although they were not stopped that long ago. Now I hope that all the people who went to the residential school will get compensation and hopefully lead a good life.
My view on the aboriginal people will never be the same as it used to be. I am very happy to have learned more about them and I hope that they can become a part of our society.

No comments:

Post a Comment